Thursday 3 August 2023

Notes during second phase of development

- I have 2 days for this next stage of development, so I am focusing on tackling the big issue with the movement.

- I started by taking out the turning with 2 short notes mechanic, and plan to change to a simple, you move wherever you were looking when you started moving. I decided to do this rather than just simply moving where you are looking because it encourages more singing, having to stop and start in a new direction to navigate somewhere rather than just singing once and getting to the place you want to be.

- I felt the best use of the short note would be to jump, if this worked I could then I would be able to add obstacles for the player to jump over rather than just moving forward. Because there is now a new form of movement, being louder also affects the jumping, letting the player jump higher with a louder note.

- As the tester mentioned it was hard to understand what was meant by short and long notes and learning how to use them, I decided to have a tutorial level added. Here I have NPCs that demonstrate movement controls to the player (with instruction boards), one moving back and forth with long notes and one jumping with short notes. To continue to the game, the player needs to navigate towards a coin that has surrounding barriers they must successfully jump over to pick it up and proceed past the tutorial. This gives the player the space to practice the movement in a non-level environment, it also makes sure the player understands how to move before proceeding.


- Next, I needed to address the want for a mute button. I had never realised the need for this as I was testing the game by myself and had no need to make any extra sound, but when it was mentioned I realised it would be preferable to have one. I decided to make it the select button on the left-hand controller, so when the player is holding it down they are muted, their hand will turn red in the game to signal they are muted. I've added instructions on how to use this to the tutorial, explaining it as holding your left hand in a fist instead of naming the button, as I wouldn't expect the musician to know the button names.

- just in case the singer needs a recap of how to move and to give to option to add in settings in future development, I added an instructions panel that the player can toggle on or off with the right select button, also described in the tutorial.

- with the changes made to the movement, there is no incentive for the player to sing different notes. The tester mentioned how it was less encouraging to start singing with there being no sound coming out of the game, so I thought to help with both of these problems, I would add some background music to the main level. Just a simple beat and looping bass, so the singer could improvise over it and hopefully be encouraged to sing more notes to pair with the backing.

Insights & Conclusion

- At the start of this project, my main idea was to make a game based on exploration. The player would sing to move about a world, collectin...